What Should You Look For In A DUI Attorney?
If you’re facing DUI charges, selecting the right attorney is one of the most important decisions you will make and can truly make all the difference in having the charges reduced or dismissed altogether. You will undoubtedly want to choose someone you trust and who will do everything in their power to fight for your best interest. We believe our attorneys at Chieppor & Egner LLC are the right choice, but you can decide for yourself after reading through the information below.
Questions To Ask Potential Attorneys
When you meet or speak with the attorneys you are considering, don’t be afraid to ask as many questions as you can think of – the more you know, the better. The following is a list of questions and an explanation of why it might be important to know those details. We hope that the below questions will help you choose a DUI attorney for your situation.
- How long have you been practicing law? Someone with a great deal of experience will naturally have more wisdom and expertise than a younger attorney. Due to their experience, they will have a good idea of what the outcome of your case will be because they have handled something similar before. It’s also likely that they will be familiar with the judge, the district attorney and the police officer who issued the offense.
- How much experience do you have defending DUI charges? This goes with the previous question. Someone who has a lot of experience handling your particular kind of case will be more knowledgeable and comfortable than someone who typically practices another type of law or doesn’t have that much experience.
- What’s your track record with DUI cases? You will want to pick someone who has success and experience winning DUI cases, as they will be savvier about how to properly handle your case and will be more likely to be able to get the results that you want.
- What is the cost of attorney fees? This is something you will want to consider based on your budget.
- What do you think the outcome of my case will be? Be cautious of attorneys who promise you a specific outcome – there is no guarantee that a case will turn out a certain way. Ideally, you will want someone who is honest and frank about the best- and worst-case scenarios.
- How many DUI cases have you taken to trial? Should your case go to trial, you will want someone who knows the ropes of how to handle a DUI case in that type of situation. They will know what works and what doesn’t as opposed to someone who has little experience. Choosing someone with trial experience is important because you will be more likely to get the outcome that you desire.
- Have you ever been disciplined by the Pennsylvania State Bar? You’ll want to pick someone that has no history of disciplinary action. You can look up a Pennsylvania attorney’s standing online.
When you spoke with the lawyer, were they able to thoroughly answer your questions? Someone who is competent should be able to provide knowledgeable, thorough answers to your questions. You should walk away from meeting with them feeling reassured and comfortable.
Ask Us Your Questions During An Initial Consultation
The attorneys at Chieppor & Egner LLC are former prosecutors with considerable courtroom experience. We welcome your questions and look forward to telling you how we can help you. To get started, call us in Lancaster at 717-985-8358 or fill out our online contact form.